Chrome is a browser from Google that was designed to offer a minimalist approach to internet browsing. One of the most notable features offered by goggle chrome is the fact that the user can change the search engine to the preferred search engine other than Google. You can change your search engine in chrome to Bing, ASK, yahoo as well as AOL.
How to change your chrome default search engine
- From the start button, click on the all programs icon. Navigate to Google chrome. Alternatively, you can click on the start button and search for chrome from the search box.
- Click on the drop down menu located on the screen’s far right end of the screen. Select options.
- Choose the default search drop down menu and select your most preferred search engine.
- Click on close and this will set your preferred search engine to default.
- From now on, every search you perform will make use of your newly set default search engine.
Protecting your newly set default search engine
Once you have successfully set your default search engine on your chrome, it is advisable to protect it. The security measures will ensure that your search engine is protected from unauthorized changes. Unlike other browsers, chrome does not have an option that protects the default search engine from changes. However, software administrators as well as developers have made this feature available by making modifications on the browser startup routine’s command line.
To protect your default engine from unauthorized changes:
- Right click on the chrome icon located on your taskbar or desktop.
- From your context menu, select properties and this will take you to the shortcut window.
- You will be able to see the application path which is displayed inside the target box. Here, type in ‘protector’ at the end of the application path.
- Click on close to shut the shortcut menu.
If you are using any other browser apart from chrome, you can also protect your default search engine from unauthorized changes. When you protect your search engine from unauthorized changes, you will never have to worry about the changes brought about by add-ons and downloaded applications to your browser.